Traditional recipes

New York City Waiter Steals $126,000 and More News

New York City Waiter Steals $126,000 and More News

We are searching data for your request:

Forums and discussions:
Manuals and reference books:
Data from registers:
Wait the end of the search in all databases.
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.

In today's Media Mix, José Andrés jet-packs to the Cayman Islands, plus America's best new bars

Arthur Bovino

The Daily Meal brings you the biggest news from the food world.

José Andrés: Jet-Packer: Here is a video of the chef emerging from the sea via jetpack. [Eater]

Waiter Thief: A waiter at Tribeca restaurant Catskills Cuisine reportedly went on a $126,000 shopping spree with customers' credit cards. [Gothamist]

Orange Wine Over: Is the orange wine trend over? Not quite, but it's getting there. [Inside Scoop SF]

Coffee Porn: Here is a super indie coffee promo video from Stumptown Coffee. Obviously. [Grub Street]

Best New Bars: Details has rounded up a listicle of the best new bars in America, with plenty making our bucket list. [Details]


NEW YORK CITY, New York (WPIX) — Police arrested an alleged serial killer accused of murdering several women at a public housing complex for New York City seniors dating back nearly six years.

The man, identified as 66-year-old Kevin Gavin, was arrested for allegedly killing three women between 2015 and 2021 at the New York City Housing Authority’s Carter G. Woodson Houses in Brownsville, Brooklyn.

Gavin lived in the building and was familiar with the other tenants. He often ran errands for several of them, according to Chief of Detectives Rodney Harrison.

Police believe he may have killed the victims because of arguments over money.

Gavin took advantage of his relationship with the woman, District Attorney Eric Gonzalez said.

“I know how devastating these losses have been to the people of Brownsville,” Gonzalez said.

The most recent homicide Gavin was charged in was reported earlier this month.

(Family handouts)

On Jan. 15, 78-year-old Juanita Cabarello was found dead with a telephone cord wrapped around her neck on the floor of her apartment, police said.

On April 30, 2019, 83-year-old Jacolia James was found by her grandson face down inside her apartment with “highly suspicious injuries” to her head and torso, police said. She was pronounced dead at the scene.

About four years earlier, 82-year-old Myrtle McKenney was found by her home health aid laying on the kitchen floor of her Powell Street apartment, unconscious and unresponsive.

McKenney’s death was initially said to be of natural causes, but funeral home workers later found a stab wound in the back of her neck, prompting an investigation.

Gavin had several drug-related prior arrests, officials said.

How New York City’s High Line has inspired murals, sculptures and other works of street art

Billowing rain clouds were closing in as I hurried along West 30th Street in the Chelsea neighborhood of Manhattan. Ahead, I could see the outline of the High Line, an elevated park that has become the darling of New York City residents and visitors alike.

Just as I reached the steps leading to the park, thunder boomed and rain began to fall.

The good news, I thought, was that I would have the place to myself and could explore the last section of the park, a recent addition. The bad news, of course, was that I would have to see it from under an umbrella.

But I hadn’t counted on how wildly popular the park has become. Even in bad weather, with a chilly spring rain falling, the 6-year-old High Line had drawn a crowd — joggers and walkers, families, seniors and moms pushing strollers that bore bundled-up kids.

Five million people visited the High Line last year, making this oddly shaped green belt along the Hudson River on Manhattan’s Lower West Side one of the city’s most popular parks. “People like it so much they come even when the weather isn’t great,” said Ashley Tickle of Friends of the High Line, a park support group. The recent opening of the new Whitney Museum of American Art at the edge of the park has only heightened interest.

Suspended 30 feet above the city, the High Line originally was a New York Central Railroad spur called the West Side Line that delivered freight to area businesses. Wildflowers and grasses turned it into a secret garden in the sky after the spur was abandoned.

When demolition loomed, public outcry saved it, and in 2009 the first segment opened.

The 1.45-mile park stretches from Gansevoort Street, in the meatpacking district, through Chelsea to 34th Street at its northern end. Eleven entrances allow visitors to hop on and off the raised promenade along the way. The third and northernmost section of the park, the High Line at the Rail Yards, opened last September.

Among the benefits of visiting this pretty walkway: stunning views of the Hudson River and cityscape, an intimate above-it-all look at neighborhoods, numerous cultural events staged on the parkway and an ever-changing gallery of public art.

The day I visited, a giant mural by California Pop artist Ed Ruscha was drawing crowds. The 30-by-50-foot project, commissioned for the High Line and painted on the side of an apartment building, overlooked the park and recited the line, “Honey, I twisted through more damn traffic today.”

In another area, I saw pedestrians pausing in the morning drizzle to photograph a colorful mural by Brazilian street artist Eduardo Kobra. Based on the iconic 1945 photograph “V-J Day in Times Square” by Alfred Eisenstaedt, the huge kaleidoscopic mural was a day brightener. At 14th Street, I saw a couple kissing in front of a wall mural that featured Albert Einstein holding a sign that read “Love is the answer.”

Although art projects such as Ruscha’s are regularly commissioned by High Line Art, a group associated with Friends of the High Line, not all art that strollers see has been commissioned.

“The High Line has inspired many in the West Chelsea community to install murals, sculptures and other works of art,” Tickle said. “Although they are not part of our curated program, they are popular attractions for visitors and add to the vibrant art community that surrounds the park.”

The art scene isn’t the only community element that has been affected by the park. The New York Post recently called it “the rail line that resurrected a neighborhood.” Both Chelsea and the meatpacking district have gained cachet since the park opened.

Open-air meat markets and tenements once lined these cobblestone streets now the neighborhoods have taken on new lives as gourmet eateries, artisanal shops and designer stores have appeared. With them have come crowds of locals, travelers, foodies and fashionistas, and higher real estate prices.

New businesses are capitalizing on the area’s popularity by tacking the words “High Line” onto their names.

Others, such as the luxury Gansevoort Hotel, have created packages to take advantage of the park. The hotel’s “Hit the High Line” package includes a picnic lunch and a copy of the book “Designing the High Line” a “Get Laced” package has a running map of the High Line and meatpacking district.

It’s a new way to get high on the Big Apple.


From LAX, Jet Blue, United, Virgin America, Delta and American offer nonstop service to JFK Southwest offers direct service (stop, no change of planes) and Delta, US Airways, American, United, Virgin America and Jet Blue offer connecting service (change of planes). Restricted round-trip fares from $361, including taxes and fees.

The High Line, an elevated freight rail line that has been transformed into a public park, runs from Gansevoort Street to West 34th Street, between Washington Street and 11th Avenue on Manhattan’s West Side.

FBI informant’s perilous work in Fla. Taliban case

PLANTATION, Fla.&mdashStanding on a Pakistani mountainside with a suspected Taliban fighter, FBI undercover informant David Mahmood Siddiqui remembers thinking, he could have been sent hurtling off a cliff to his death with just a nudge. In such dangerous situations, Siddiqui said he always tried to hold a Quran tightly in his hands.

“As long as you have a Quran in your hands,” he told The Associated Press in an interview Friday, “they (the Taliban) will not harm you.”

Siddiqui, a 58-year-old Pakistani-American who became a U.S. citizen in 1977, spent four years helping the FBI build its case against Hafiz Muhammad Sher Ali Khan, who was convicted Monday of terrorism support and conspiracy charges. Evidence during his two-month trial showed that Khan, the 77-year-old imam at a Miami mosque, funneled about $50,000 to the Pakistani Taliban, listed as a foreign terrorist organization by the U.S.

Siddiqui wore an FBI wire to record thousands of conversations with Khan. Prosecutors made heavy use of the evidence Siddiqui gathered, playing dozens of those recordings in court.

Khan faces up to 15 years in prison on each of the four counts when he is sentenced in May. Siddiqui said the verdict was more than just.

“He was found guilty because he is guilty. I was there, and I saw what happened,” he said. “I asked him on a recorded conversation if he was Taliban and he said yes. It’s right there on the tape.”

Testifying in his own defense, Khan insisted that he never supported the Taliban and that the money he sent overseas was for his family, for charity and to support his religious school, known as a madrassa. The school is in Pakistan’s Swat Valley, which at times has been dominated by the Taliban. Khan claimed that it was Siddiqui who was a Taliban backer and that he only played along because Siddiqui promised to give him $1 million for his good works.

Not true, Siddiqui said in the interview. FBI agents also testified there was no evidence to back up Khan’s claim about the money.

“I never promised him $1 million. He is a liar,” he said.

Siddiqui, by trade a chef and restaurant manager, said he became an informant after noticing that the FBI was interested in recruiting Muslims and speakers of Pakistani languages such as Pashto and Urdu. He said he had worked as a food service manager in Libya for an oil company and encountered strong anti-American sentiment there, which upset him.

“I decided it was time for me to work with a federal agency where I could help them to catch bad people,” he said.

After Siddiqui signed up, the FBI used him as an informant to help make national security cases in San Antonio, Texas New York City and elsewhere in Florida, he said. But the Khan case, which he began to work on in 2008, was by far the biggest. The FBI paid him about $126,000 plus expenses for four years of work.

“I did it for the love of my country, not for money. If I had a restaurant, I could have made a lot more money,” Siddiqui said.

Wearing the wire to surreptitiously record talks with Khan was dangerous enough. But in September 2010, the FBI sent Siddiqui to Pakistan’s Swat Valley to meet up with some of people who were getting Khan’s money. With Khan’s grandson Alam Zeb as his driver&mdashZeb is a suspected Taliban fighter also indicted by the U.S. in the Khan case&mdashSiddiqui spent three weeks gathering intelligence.

He couldn’t take notes, because they might be discovered. Obviously he couldn’t record anything. He had no way of contacting the FBI. At one point, he found out later, agents feared he might have been killed. He met Taliban soldiers, some of them bearing battle scars, many telling tales of combat with Pakistan’s army and with U.S. forces in Afghanistan. He visited Khan’s madrassa. He witnessed a woman being whipped by a tribal leader because she allowed too much of her face to be seen.

“The whole place was Taliban,” Siddiqui said. “Was it dangerous? Yes, very dangerous. I did it with faith in my country and my FBI friends.”

Eventually, Zeb drove Siddiqui back to Islamabad, but Siddiqui waited until he flew to Bangkok, Thailand, to contact his FBI handlers out of concern that Pakistan’s intelligence service might be monitoring his communications. Siddiqui said he told the bureau about a Taliban plot to attack a supply convoy on its way from Pakistan to U.S. forces in Afghanistan and believes it may have been averted.

Khan’s attorney, Khurrum Wahid, said Friday there is little evidence to support many of Siddiqui’s claims about what took place during his trip to Pakistan, which he said were filled with “lies and exaggerations.” Pakistan cut off video testimony by defense witnesses from Islamabad during the trial in which people who met Siddiqui would have refuted his claims, the attorney said.

“I believe he lied to his handlers about what happened in Pakistan,” Wahid said. “I traced his entire path.”

Siddiqui said he’s not sure if the FBI will ask for his services again, but said he’d gladly do it. He’s looking for work in the restaurant or food service field. Siddiqui, father of three older children, lives in a quiet Fort Lauderdale suburb with his wife, who works at a local mall.

“I finished my job. I finished my enemy. Now, hopefully, I’ll get a job,” he said.


WEST HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. (AP) — A man suspected of shooting three workers inside a manager’s office at a Long Island grocery store Tuesday, killing one of them, was arrested after fleeing the scene and remaining at large for several hours, police said.

  • Emergency service personnel work at the scene of a shooting at a Stop & Shop supermarket, Tuesday, April 20, 2021, in West Hempstead, N.Y. A gunman shot three workers inside a manager’s office at a Long Island grocery store Tuesday police said. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
  • Emergency service personnel work at the scene of a shooting at a Stop & Shop supermarket, Tuesday, April 20, 2021, in West Hempstead, N.Y. A gunman shot three workers inside a manager’s office at a Long Island grocery store Tuesday police said. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
  • Emergency service personnel work at the scene of a shooting at a Stop & Shop supermarket, Tuesday, April 20, 2021, in West Hempstead, N.Y. A gunman shot three workers inside a manager’s office at a Long Island grocery store Tuesday police said. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
  • Emergency service personnel work at the scene of a shooting at a Stop & Shop supermarket, Tuesday, April 20, 2021, in West Hempstead, N.Y. A gunman shot three workers inside a manager’s office at a Long Island grocery store Tuesday police said. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
  • Emergency service personnel work at the scene of a shooting at a Stop & Shop supermarket, Tuesday, April 20, 2021, in West Hempstead, N.Y. A gunman shot three workers inside a manager’s office at a Long Island grocery store Tuesday police said. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)
  • Emergency service personnel work at the scene of a shooting at a Stop & Shop supermarket, Tuesday, April 20, 2021, in West Hempstead, N.Y. A gunman shot three workers inside a manager’s office at a Long Island grocery store Tuesday, killing one of them, police said. (AP Photo/Mary Altaffer)

Nassau County Executive Laura Curran tweeted around 3:15 p.m. Tuesday that Gabriel DeWitt Wilson was in police custody. Information on charges and a lawyer who could speak on Wilson’s behalf wasn’t immediately available.

#BREAKING: Shooting at Long Island Stop & Shop draws large police response, West Hempstead schools to lockdown suspect not yet apprehended, Nassau County Exec. Laura Curran says

&mdash PIX11 News (@PIX11News) April 20, 2021

The shooting happened around 11 a.m. inside an office upstairs from the shopping floor at the Stop & Shop supermarket in West Hempstead, Nassau County Police Commissioner Patrick Ryder said.

There were about a “couple hundred” shoppers inside the store at the time, he said.

“They told us to just run and get out, and that’s what we did,” shopper Laura Catanese told News 12 Long Island.

Barbara Butterman told Newsday she heard four or five shots while shopping for produce, initially thinking the sound was something falling in the back storeroom.

The #NassauCountyPD can confirm that the subject has been apprehended and taken into custody. Our thoughts are with those who were killed and injured today.

&mdash NCPD (@NassauCountyPD) April 20, 2021

“Everyone was running around upstairs where offices were,” Butterman told the newspaper.

The name of the victims have not been made public. The man who was killed was a 49-year-old store employee, Ryder said. The two wounded were hospitalized and were conscious and alert.

Police identified the suspected gunman as Wilson and gave a date of birth for him indicating he is 31 years old. He had been employed by that store, but it was unclear whether he was still working there, Ryder said.

Wilson was wearing all black and carrying a small handgun as he fled westbound on Hempstead Turnpike, Ryder told reporters at a news conference. He was arrested after police converged on a neighborhood in nearby Hempstead, which is east of the grocery store.

Curran told News 12 that law enforcement “cast a wide net to locate the shooter.” She said the shooting was “one of the most serious incidents we’ve had in a very, very long time.”

The shooting in West Hempstead followed a rash of recent mass shootings across the county, including one on March 22 that left 10 people dead at a supermarket in Boulder, Colorado.

Video of the aftermath of the shooting showed police cars and ambulances parked in front of the store, officers with long guns and yellow crime scene tape draped across the entrance.

Curran said nearby schools have been told not to admit visitors and residents were asked to remain indoors.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo said he was directing state police to assist local police.

“I’m praying for the victims, and my heart breaks for their families and loved ones,” Cuomo said in a statement.

West Hempstead is near the New York City-Nassau County border and about 30 miles (50 kilometers) east of midtown Manhattan.

Stop & Shop President Gordon Reid said in a statement that the company is “shocked and heartbroken by this act of violence” and that the West Hempstead store will remain closed until further notice.

“Our hearts go out to the families of the victims, our associates, customers and the first responders who have responded heroically to this tragic situation,” Reid said.

Why ramen restaurants have New Yorkers ‘hooked’ on Japanese noodles

Typing the phrase “#ramen” into Instagram’s search bar will result in 6.7 million posts, many of the ubiquitous foodie pic variety and some rather bizarre videos of people eating what can only be described as python-like noodles. As more and more ramen shops spring up around New York City, it appears that everyone, from the blogger with a following in the millions to your 85-year-old grandmother, knows and loves ramen.

Behind this ostensibly overnight food trend, though, are hundreds of years of rich cultural history and an increasing wave of globalization.

Ramen-bering the past

In order to fully grasp the reputation of ramen as a Japanese essential, we must first turn slightly westward, to China.

“There’s a history of noodles in China going back thousands of years,” explains Barak Kushner, who teaches Japanese history at the University of Cambridge and authored the 2012 book “Slurp! A Social and Culinary History of Ramen, Japan’s Favorite Noodle Soup.” He notes that noodle technology was initially pioneered by Buddhist monks and spread over centuries to Japan. “By the 17th and 18th centuries, there was a love of soba noodles in Edo (Tokyo’s forerunner),” says Kushner. Bowls of noodles became a popular serving option, and over time, these came to include soup.

As industrialization took off in Japan during the 19th century, many Chinese people moved to the country, and they brought with them new noodles, made with wheat for a springy, al dente bite. Right around 1910, Japanese workers, who were the primary consumers of the inexpensive and easy noodle bowls, began to crave a meatier, more caloric meal, and what we now call ramen was born.

In the wake of World War II, the United States supplied Japan with large quantities of wheat to help with food shortages. This led to the government-encouraged production of wheat noodles and therefore ramen. The dense, traditionally working-class dish took off in the post-war landscape and quickly spread outside the major cities.

Finally, in 1958, instant ramen, a product that any current or former college student knows all too well, was introduced and rapidly became a sensation, proving an ideal on-the-go, cheap meal for a nation that was still rebuilding.

Americans had long associated ramen with its instant variety before the boom in restaurants. Photo Credit: Getty Images/iStock

Japan goes global

Ah, the 80s: a decade of shoulder pads, hair metal and a whole new wave of culturally influential movies. As the world watched Molly Ringwald pull out a bento box of sushi in “The Breakfast Club” in ‘85 and witnessed Charlie Sheen hand-make nigiri in 1987’s “Wall Street,” an ongoing fascination with all things Japanese officially began. Suddenly, the small island nation was a major world player, especially in the food scene.

“Japan was economically hurting in the ’80s,” says Kushner, “but its gross national cool began to spread internationally.”

At the same time, there was a boom in “B-Class gourmet” domestically, and a more culinary approach was taken to ramen, with shops popping up all over and different regions branding varying ingredients.

Of course, instant ramen had already grown popular around the world, and especially in the United States, but it was still at that point written off, what with its 60 cent price tag and “just add water” recipe, as a fast food embraced only by those who couldn’t afford anything else.

As Japan’s cultural influence grew, though, it “gained a food culture beyond sushi,” as Kushner notes, and the gourmet treatment of ramen happening in Asia slowly made its way to the States.

Ramen-cing New York

The past few years have seen a spike in the number of ramen restaurants around the city, and the trend doesn’t show any sign of slowing.

With different forms of noodle soup, from pho to matzo ball, and a pasta culture already popular worldwide, ramen has been well-received in the west. “It’s cheap, accessible, and doesn’t require changing your taste or palate at all,” says Kushner. “Ramen is like the sandwich of Asia,” universal but easily adaptable to local flavors and ingredients.

“When I first started out, ramen really had no respect,” says Ivan Orkin, the owner and chef behind Ivan Ramen. “People were surprised that a fine-dining chef would ‘lower himself’ to ramen.” Orkin, a native New Yorker, long identified with Japanese culture and opened his first two ramen restaurants in Tokyo before writing a cookbook and opening up two New York locations. He attributes much of the noodle dish’s success in America to the rise of comfort food in the culinary world and sees ramen as “leading the pack.”

“I think in New York, it’s taken off almost more than anywhere else,” says Orkin. “Besides anything else, ramen is just really fun, and once you have it, you’re kind of hooked.”

In the same way that an interest in Japanese culture once paved the way for ramen’s popularity, the dish’s success is now leading to increased interest in Japan. “Ramen is an extension of Japanese culture,” says Orkin, “and its popularity has caused many people who would never even think of Japan to want to go visit.”

Ichiran, another favorite in the ramen scene, opened its first U.S. location in 2016 in Bushwick following the success of its 65 Japanese shops. In addition to bringing its signature and flavorful ramen to the city, the restaurant chain made a point of staying true to its Japanese roots in its culture and aesthetic.

“The thing people look at here is the design,” says Ichiran publicist Kayla Copeland, noting the venue’s solo booths, no tip policy, and minimal server interaction (guests see only a waiter’s hands). “It’s weird and different but the kind of weird and different that you want.”

Ichiran, which opened a second New York location in midtown last year, and recently announced a Times Square outpost, slated to open in winter of 2019, hopes that its New York presence will help get the rest of America on the ramen train.

“I think people have been afraid to try it in other parts of America,” says Copeland, “but New York is the perfect place to start.” The chain plans to expand across the country in the coming years.

And even with so many ramen destinations in New York, none seems too worried about competition. “The beauty of ramen is that you can love Ivan and you can love Ichiran or Ippudo,” says Orkin, alluding to the different styles and flavors that each shop produces. “I never think there’s too much competition.”

Aspiring dancer hit by car turns tragedy into new passion through food blogging

NEW YORK CITY -- Dara Pollak, born and raised in Queens, aspired to be a professional dancer. She studied tap, ballet, jazz - all the classics.

On September 30, 2001, on a quick work break to grab lunch with a friend, she heard screeching tires. Dara's friend yelled, "Oh my god, that car isn't stopping." Dara turned around to see the back of an old Cadillac flying towards her.

Dara was pinned between the car and the wall, in front of Barnes & Noble in the Bay Terrace Shopping Center. Her leg was shattered. and so were her dreams of becoming a professional dancer.

Dara spent months in the hospital. Laid up in a bed watching hours of endless television, depressed and heartbroken. Dara soon discovered a new passion - Food Network.

She loved watching the cooking shows and learning recipes. It relaxed her and gave her a sense of peace, during this very traumatic time.

In 2008, Dara started her own food blog called The Skinny Pig. Her blog shares recipes, cooking tips and restaurant reviews.

Soon after her blog was created, she launched an Instagram account to promote her blog @SkinnyPigNYC. Now, Dara has over 92,500 followers and is one of New York City's top food bloggers.

Dara works as a food blogger full time and helps restaurants by consulting and collaborating with other social media influencers to share knowledge to restaurants about what makes a good "Instagram-able" food item.

For mouth-watering, crave-inducing food photos follow Dara on Instagram or see her photos below.

New York City foodies should check out The Skinny Pig blog for all of your foodie cravings!

Police: North Carolina Man Steals, Crashes Airport Authority Vehicle Into Building At Pittsburgh International Airport

MOON TOWNSHIP, Pa. (KDKA) — Police said a North Carolina man stole an Airport Authority vehicle and crashed into a building at Pittsburgh International Airport.

On Friday, police responded to reports that an Airport Authority vehicle had been driven into the building that houses the moving walkway that connects the Landside terminal and the Hyatt Regency Hotel with long-term parking.

Officials say when they arrived, they found that an Airport Authority pick-up truck crashed through the glass doors of the moving walkway and hit a cement pillar.

Police later found Harry Griffith, 35, in the parking area behind the hotel. Law enforcement says an airport employee told them that he saw the man drive the truck into the structure.

The structure houses the moving walkway that connects the Landside terminal and the Hyatt Regency Hotel with long-term parking. When police arrived, they found a pick-up truck belonging to the Airport Authority which had gone through the glass doors of the moving walkway.

&mdash Allegheny County PD (@AlleghenyCoPD) May 1, 2021

“It was learned that the Airport Authority employee had parked his vehicle to collect trash from receptacles near the building. After he had exited and began gathering the trash, he heard the vehicle and turned to see it being driven into the building. The driver then jumped out of the vehicle and ran and was followed by the airport employee,” police said in a release.

This pastrami taco is the mashup of your dreams

Has the storied Carnegie Deli slung its last corned beef?

Shuttered since the discovery of an illegal gas hookup in April, the restaurant has no reopening date.

Unemployment insurance for the deli’s 70 or so workers is about to run out, and tenants living above the Seventh Avenue eatery have been without heat, hot water and gas for cooking.

One longtime Carnegie waitress fumed that the pastrami purveyor continued to haul in cash through related ventures, like a New Jersey wholesale business, while workers are suffering through lean times.

“If you have a restaurant that makes the money that that restaurant makes, you should have people working there 24 hours a day fixing it, but they don’t,” the waitress said.

Marian Harper Levine, the president of Carnegie Deli, insisted that she remained committed to serving the signature overstuffed sandwiches again on Seventh Avenue. The restaurant, which opened in 1937, has been called the most famous deli in America.

“Unfortunately, we do not have a clear date of reopening at this time and had expected to reopen this month,” Harper Levine said in a statement. “There was a setback in a recent inspection where more work was required to bring the Carnegie Deli up to code.”

The city Buildings Department said it can’t issue any approvals to reopen until the deli passes a “gas authorization test” and that the restaurant had not done that test.

‘If you have a restaurant that makes the money that [Carnegie Deli] makes, you should have people working there 24 hours a day fixing it, but they don’t’

- a waitress

Con Edison said it was waiting for city approval before it does its own tests and turns on the gas.

“It’s been very difficult because [of] all these violations it was the company’s fault,” said Gilbert Palacios of Unite Here Local 100, which represents 50 Carnegie servers, counter workers and others.

Con Edison found the illegal gas connection in April when it was called to investigate a possible gas leak. The discovery came a month after a gas explosion leveled an East Village building and killed two people.

Harper Levine and her husband, Sanford, were in the midst of a bitter divorce when the restaurant closed. Sandy Levine, as he is known, was cheating on his wife with a deli waitress, whom Harper Levine accused of stealing the recipe for the deli’s famed cheesecake and even sending food to a knockoff restaurant in Thailand.

Levine managed the deli business for years, prompting a Manhattan judge hearing the divorce to blame him for the gas fiasco, calling him the Shyster of Smoked Meat. The judge also noted a recent $2.65 million settlement to 25 Carnegie Deli workers in a lawsuit over wage theft.

“Somebody did something to these gas pipes that would have caused people to die for the sake of making some bucks,” Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Matthew Cooper said during an August hearing.

Levine appeared in court in September, settling the divorce just days before he was to take the stand and prove he wasn’t responsible for the illegal gas connection.

There is a pending federal lawsuit against the deli seeking $73,822 owed to an employee retirement fund from 2010 through 2013.

Tenants living upstairs from the deli haven’t had to pay rent during the shutdown, but can’t cook or take hot showers.

‘From New York all the way to California’: Couple steals multiple cards and takes officers on chase

SAINT GEORGE, Utah (ABC4) – A couple is in custody after leading officers on a chase and being in possession of multiple identification and financial cards belonging to other people from all across the nation.

On March 20, at 9:58 a.m., 36-year-old Kevin Lamar Miller and 27-year-old Indra Pal Singh were caught speeding in a 25 mile-per-hour zone at Snow Canyon State Park when officers began to pursue them.

“I activated my emergency lights and sirens in an attempt to get Ms. Singh’s attention. The vehicle turned onto Tuacahn Drive and accelerated at a high rate of speed in an attempt to get away from me,” an officer states.

According to arresting documents, as officers began to chase, the suspects allegedly sped through an active farmers market “with no regard for the civilians lives.”

Police officers then blocked off the area in an attempt to approach the suspects.

“I observed the vehicle enter the west side entrance towards to back of the Tuacahn Amphitheater. I blocked off the entrance and waited for other officers to arrive. As I was waiting at the entrance, I observed Ms. Singh and a black male running down the steps of the Tuacahn Amphitheater towards the parking lot,” an officer states.

Arresting documents say that the officer ran towards Singh and Miller, announcing himself as a police officer and asking the pair to stop running.

“I un-holstered my taser gun and pointed it at the male while giving verbal commands to
stop,” the officer states. “The male stopped and immediately raised his hands. I ordered the male to get on the ground.”

As Miller lay flat on the ground, arresting documents state Singh continued to run on foot until another Washington County Deputy arrived and took her into custody.

When the suspects were apprehended, a probable cause statement states that officers then discovered the two to be in the possession of multiple identification and financial cards.

According to Sgt. Reed Briggs with the Santa Clara-Ivins Police Department, cards in their possession originated from places like New York all the way to California.

Briggs also states that it was discovered that one of the suspects was also connected to a vehicle burglary out of Washington County.

The couple were transported to Purgatory and booked for various charges.

Indra Pal Singh is being charged for the following:

  • Three felony counts for failure to stop at the command of an officer
  • Unlawful acquisition of another’s financial card
  • Reckless driving
  • Having an open container in a vehicle
  • Possession of another’s identity

Kevin Lamar Miller faces 11 misdemeanor charges and 23 felony charges of possession of another’s identity.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Media Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

Watch the video: Με νέες κυρώσεις απειλούν οι ΗΠΑ την Τουρκία εάν προχωρήσει σε αγορά S-400. OPEN TV (June 2022).